I attended the first workshop held for an upcoming inaugural event. The Mpls Lantern Fest on February 21, 2015 from 5—8 p.m. in Downtown Minneapolis (Mpls). The gathering will be held at Marquette Plaza (Cancer Survivors Park) between S Washington and S 3rd St, on Nicollet Mall. Artists from In the Heart Of the Beast puppet and mask Theatre (HOBT.org) will be constructing large lantern puppets for leading processions of the lantern line. Their theme will be along the lines of the constellations that have been historically attributed to the stars of our skies. Chances are mythology of multiple cultures will enhance the party theme.
You may help light up our city streets with color and joy, by attending a free public workshop during the next few weeks, at various locations around Mpls (Minneapolis). The materials are suppled for forming a lantern. You assemble and you adorn. All the lanterns will be displayed at the Mpls Lantern Fest. After the evenings festivities, you may take your lantern and memories with you, to brighten your domicile or work space. It may be you will carry your lantern in a line of Lanterns. You will have helped make the city of Minneapolis one of the great reasons for living here.
The Minneapolis Downtown Council is suppling the funding for the material and lead artist’s time, and other logistics. You, your friends, and family will provide the brightness. All ages, all abilities are welcome. On Feb 21 food and breverages will be avalable for purchase, but there is no fee for the workshops or the Mpls Lantern Fest.
Scheduled at this writing;
- Saturday, Feb. 7 (1-3 PM), Saturday, Feb. 14 (10 AM-12 PM) | Hosted by Intermedia Arts Gallery (2822 Lyndale Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55408)
- Tuesday, Feb. 12 (5-8 PM) | Hosted by Juxtaposition Arts (1108 Broadway Avenue W, Minneapolis, MN 55411)
- Saturday, Feb. 14 (2-5 PM) and Sunday, Feb. 15 (12-3 PM) | Hosted by ArtShare (Grace Center, 1500 6th Street NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413)
- Powderhorn: Tuesday, Feb. 17, Thursday, Feb. 19 and Friday, Feb.20 (6-9 PM) | Hosted by In the Heart of the Beast (1500 Lake Street E, Minneapolis, MN 55407)
- Uptown: Wednesday, Feb. 18 (6-8 PM) | Hosted by First Universalist Church, Chalice Room (3400 Dupont Avenue S, Minneapolis, MN 55408)
an Artist’s sketch of possible large Lantern Puppet
Learn, teach, be with your neighbors, build a festival together.
Add your original to the original Mpls Lantern Fest — be the first on your block to make your Lantern light up the night