by Nelima Kerré | April 23, 2009 • Another weekend is fast approaching. If you haven’t got any plans, perhaps we can help out with that. We’ve got a coupla suggestions;
* There will be a tour of the African gallery at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts on Saturday at 2pm.
* One Twin Cities will be hosting a ‘Kick It to Malaria’ soccer game fundraiser on Saturday at 7201 West 83rd Street, Bloomington. Games go from 11am – 2pm and each player pays $10 which is the cost of a bed net. For more info click here.
* Join the rally for the Invisible Children of Uganda titled ‘The Rescue’ on Saturday at 3pm and stay the night until 10am. Everyone will meet at Rice Park then walk to the Capitol Building in St. Paul. For more info email Lindsey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* In case you had forgotten, the International Symposium of African Musics of the Portuguese and French-Speaking Worlds starts today. Click here.
* Macalester’s Umoja student group will be hosting an annual African conference beginning on Friday. Friday night features a kick of party and Saturday will feature a range of panel discussions from 10am. Our very own Kawuma will be a panel speaker at 11:45am.
* The African Student Association at U of MN will be having their African Nite this Friday at the St. Paul Student Center. Doors open at 6pm and cover is $10.00 .
* Join Kenn Wannaku on Saturday from 6-9p at Lily’s Restaurant to get a taste of Afro-Acoustic Spring Fever. Visit his website for more info.
* Just thought I’d also mention that the phenomenal Boyz II Men will be live in concert at Epic on Friday. Doors open at 8pm with prices at $30 advance gen admission, $50 standing VIP and $75 seated VIP.
* A couple of African films will be featured in the St. Paul Minneapolis International Film Festival this weekend.
* Salonefaces will be hosting Sierra Leone ’s 48th Independence Day Bash on Friday at Rockpointe Hall, 2807 Brookdale Drive in Brooklyn Park. Doors open at 9pm, call 6125986269 for more info or visit Salonefaces website.
* Josiah Rasugu will host his monthly reggae and dancehall party, ‘Energize’ on Friday at First Ave. Doors open at 9:30pm, ladies free untill 11pm.
* Ethiopian Student’s Association in Minnesota will be hosting an ‘Ethiopian Night’ at Dukem Restaurant on Saturday from 10pm. Here’s their website for more info.
* The Togolese Community in Minnesota will also be celebrating their 49th Independence Day with a party on Saturday also at Rockpointe Hall, 2807 Brookdale Drive in Brooklyn Park. Doors open at 6pm and the cover is $10. Call (612)203-9753 0r (612)251- 9188 for more info.
* Showtime Sunday ‘Reggae and dancehall night’ at The Lounge on Sun 19th from 9:30pm. Hosted by Mezesha Entertainment. Cover is $5:00.
|Support people-powered non-profit journalism! Volunteer, contribute news, or become a member to keep the Daily Planet in orbit.|