Who We Are
We are a mixed-voice, non-audition choir with about 35-40 members who gather weekly for the joy of singing together. We are looking for a part-time director who is community-minded and has a sense of humor, yet is task-master enough to keep us on track and help us stretch our skills so we can sing at our very best. Our repertoire includes a broad range of music from classical and international, to pop, jazz, Americana, holiday music, and show tunes.
We have two seasons per year. The fall/holiday practice season runs from mid-September to early December, ending with our main concert in early December as well as a few other performances at nursing homes. The spring season runs from mid-January through late April or early May, again with several performances in April and May. Practice is held on Tuesday evenings from 7:00-9:00 in Southeast Minneapolis near University Ave. and Highway 280.
The ideal candidate will:
- Welcome the opportunity to work with a diverse group of singers and has the ability to strive for high musical standards while having the patience to encourage singers of varied skills and abilities
- Be able to clearly communicate expectations and inspire singers to an enhanced understanding of the music
- Transmit enthusiasm and knowledge to the chorus and the audience
- Embrace and promote an internal culture of civility and respect.
A degree in choral directing or equivalent experience is required, as is a broad knowledge of choral repertoire and music theory. Basic keyboard skills are essential (advanced preferred).
- Choose repertoire for concert season
- Organize rehearsal schedule and lead choir in regular Tuesday evening rehearsals from September through December, and January through May.
- Direct choir concerts and provide information to audience about the music we are performing.
- Prepare program notes to be included in the printed concert program.
- Work with sections as needed to learn music
- Make arrangements with outside performance venues
Please send email to email@example.com and include your resume and letter of interest explaining how your skills and experience combine to make you an excellent candidate. Please put your last name and “Choir Director” in the subject line of the email.