It’s a market success story. Three years ago, the Belayneh’s started selling their handmade Italian pastries at the Midtown Farmers Market. They have seen so much success with their treats that they are opening up a permanent location on Franklin Avenue next to Verdant Tea. We had a chance to sit down with owner Tesh Belayneh to learn more about Rebecca’s Bakery and their new location in Seward. [Audio below]
From left, Leslie Carey and Tesh Belayneh help two customers pick the perfect treat.
Market Report Notes:
- The Belayneh’s left Ethiopia for Italy, where they lived for many years as Tesh attended school. Their baked goods reflect their travels with sambusas for sale next to Italian pastries.
- The Nutella-filled zeppole (similar to a doughnut) is one of the treats that sells out first at the market.
- No artificial ingredients are used in the pastries or breads, and many are low sugar.
- Rebecca’s Bakery in Seward will sell pastries, bread, and espresso drinks. In addition to the cafe, they will also offer catering and will sell their products to other restaurants and local grocery stores.
- The bakery will be celebrating its grand opening on September 28th and 29th.
Rebecca’s Bakery is located on 2111 E. Franklin Ave, Suite 2, Minneapolis. Starting September 28th, it will be open daily from 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.
The Midtown Farmer’s Market is open Tuesdays from 3-7 p.m., and Saturdays from 8 a.m.–1 p.m. Check out its website for more of what’s fresh at the market.
If you like My Broadsheet, help us spread the word and tell your neighbors and friends. Don’t forget you can get these stories and more on Facebook.