How to report a pothole in Minneapolis


With the weather changing from cold to warm-ish and back to cold again, potholes are starting to appear. Driving around, we’ve seen some seemingly big enough to eat small cars.

While permanent repairs will need to wait until summer, the Star Tribune reports that city crews are out making temporary fixes to roadways.

Online Reporting

You can report potholes on Minneapolis city streets (including parkways) through the Public Works website – click on Report a Pothole.

Pothole reports on interstates and highways should go to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

County Road pothole reports can be filed with Hennepin County.

Filing a Claim

Here’s an interesting tidbit, you can file a claim if your car is damaged from a pothole. While this sounded great at first, we looked into it further and according to the Star Tribune and MPR, the city, county, or state rarely end up footing a driver’s repair bills. The government only ends up paying if they are found negligible. The pothole must have been reported previously, and they must be given a reasonable amount of time to fix the hole.

Also in the Daily Planet: Twin Cities pothole season is open: Tips for tracking and reporting (Nekessa Opoti, 2011)