What: An FREE outdoor afternoon of dogs, art, and fun, hosted by the MIA and Sidewalk Dog
When: Sunday, September 7 from 1:00 – 4:00pm
Where: Target Park at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (map)
This annual, dog-friendly event is one of the best in the cities, combining two of the world’s most beautiful and necessary things: dogs and art. And this year, Dog Day MIA is bigger and better than ever, with more doggie-delighting fun than you can shake a stick at. (Plus, your dog can make all the messes he wants: our partners at ScoopyPoo will be providing bags for everyone who needs to clean up after their leashed creature.)
What’s on tap at this outdoor lurve fest? According to our buddies at the MIA (and we’re quoting here):
- Dress (your dog) to impress for an artful puppy parade.
- Read Scooby’s mind with Animal Bridges.
- Mark your territory on a paw-print collaborative mural with Sarah Thornton – Lintu Art.
- Romp, relax, or howl to live music from Savannah Smith.
- Get to the bottom of dog behavior with Bark Busters.
- Track a scent to canines in the MIA collection.
- Pose your pup for a custom caricature from artist Zack Wallenfang.
- Mug with your mutt for the SidewalkDog.com photobooth.
- Take home your doggie’s pawtograph.
- Get fixed up in style with Westgate Pet Clinic.
- Plus, learn the finer points of pet adoption from the Animal Humane Society and Leech Lake Legacy.
I don’t know if you saw the part where Sidewalk Dog is going to have a photo booth, but go back and read that list again: WE ARE HAVING A DOGGIE PHOTOBOOTH. It’s gonna be paw-dorable, so make sure you come find us. (We’ll also be handing out Raw Bistro treats, so there are plenty of ways to win.)
The event is just three hours long, and time flies when you’re having fun, as they say — so be punctual! We’d hate to see you miss out on something fabulous because you wanted to be fashionably late. (We promise that your dog doesn’t care if you’re fashionable.)
Too excited about the event to wait until September 7 to get your art on? No worries. The MIA has got you (and your pooch) covered with an awesome social contest leading up to the event:
- Help your dog take a selfie (she doesn’t have opposable thumbs, remember)
- Hop on Twitter or Instagram and upload your photo
- Tag @artsMIA with the hashtag #DogDayMIA
- WIN COOL STUFF.
All the photos will be uploaded to their Facebook album, and we have to say, the whole thing is downright adorbz — and particpants are all entered to win sweet prizes from the vendors at Dog Day MIA. What’s not to love?
See you there! Unless it’s raining cats and dogs (in which case, the event will be cancelled), so cross your paws for sunshine!
(Photos courtesy MIA)