In anticipation of spring I have put out a few bird houses. The birds will move into them too. It is too bad that so many people thing is is alright to let their cats run free. The cats that are well fed sometimes play with small critters and birds and leave them to die.
Cats are a threat to the ecosystem and are considered an invasive species because they kill so much.
There was a study that shows that they only bring home about 25% of what they kill. They eat some of what they kill but they leave a lot of it where they killed it.
Being a free range cat in St. Paul is not good for the cat either. Here are some statistics for St. Paul:
- 200 cats are killed annually in traffic
- Life expectancy of a cat allowed to roam is only three to four years
- Confined cats can live beyond 14 years
- Over 1,200 cats are picked up each year by animal control
- Roaming cats may be a nuisance by urinating and defecating in sandboxes and gardens
- Outdoor cats are susceptible to injury or death from other predatory animals
- Outdoor cats are predators to wildlife such as birds
Photo: My kitty cat