Where to get free tax help


Worried about doing your taxes? Thinking about going to one of those places that advertises only $50 to do your Form 1040EZ? STOP!

You almost certainly don’t need to pay someone to do a Form 1040EZ. EZ means easy. And it is. But if you are scared by the very idea of doing your own taxes, there’s still no need to throw $50 away.

The Minnesota Department of Revenue has a list of places to get free help with your taxes. That’s right — free. Just click here [http://revenue.state.mn.us/vita/pages/free_tax_prep.aspx] and then fill in your county and zip code. You’ll see a list of places near your home where you can get free help, if you are “a senior citizen, disabled citizen, or an individual with an income of $30,000 or less ($50,000 or less for families).”

There are community centers and libraries and churches, with help available in English (everywhere) and in Spanish, Hmong, Somali, Oromo, Lao, Vietnamese and sign language.

There are even some places that aren’t on the big State of Minnesota list, such as Andersen School, 1100 Andersen Lane, Minneapolis, MN 55407 (612-243-3064 for appointment), and MIRA, 7145 Harriet Avenue, Suite 400, Richfield, MN 55423 (612-276-0788  for appointment.)

Some places require appointments, and it’s always good to call ahead and check to be sure what time they are open.

If you make too much money for the free tax help, congratulations! Then you may want to check out the Better Business Bureau’s tips on finding a tax preparer