Fairgoers are invited to meet and greet with legislators and weigh in on hot political topics during their visit this year to the House of Representatives State Fair booth.
New to the space in 2013 will be a replica of the speaker’s setting in the House Chamber. Complete with desk, flags, gavel and the Abraham Lincoln portrait, the display gives you a feel for what it is like to stand in this position of power. Find out the fascinating history behind the Lincoln portrait and snap a photo to post on Facebook or have as a keepsake.
The annual House opinion poll draws the attention of around 10,000 participants and will, once again, be available. Fairgoers can let their opinions be known on a number of state issues such as increasing the state’s minimum wage, legalizing medical marijuana, requiring background checks for those wanting to purchase weapons from private sellers at gun shows and regulating dog and cat breeders.
Poll results should be available on the House website Sept. 3, the day after the fair closes.
The House of Representatives exhibit will be located in the Education Building on Cosgrove Street, just north of Dan Patch Avenue.
It is a long-standing tradition that House members make themselves available to answer questions and meet with the public at the booth.
The following is a list of representatives planning to attend (as of Aug. 19) including dates, times and the district they represent:
Thursday, Aug. 22
- 10 a.m. to noon: Rep. Joe Atkins (52B), Rep. Rick Hansen (52A)
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Rep. Rick Hansen (52A), Rep. Paul Torkelson (16B)
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Rep. Rick Hansen (52A)
Friday, Aug. 23
- 10 a.m. to noon: House Minority Leader Kurt Daudt (31A), Rep. Mike Freiberg (45B)
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Rep. Diane Loeffler (60A), Rep. Kelby Woodard (20A)
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Rep. Pam Myhra (56A), Rep. Tama Theis (14A)
- 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Rep. Laurie Halverson (51B)
Saturday, Aug. 24
- 10 a.m. to noon: Rep. David Bly (20B), Rep. Lyndon Carlson, Sr. (45A)
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Rep. Steve Drazkowski (21B), Rep. Brian Johnson (32A)
Sunday, Aug. 25
- 10 a.m. to noon: Rep. Clark Johnson (19A)
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Rep. Pam Myhra (56A)
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Rep. Raymond Dehn (59B), Rep. John Petersburg (24A)
- 4 p.m. to 6 pm.: Rep. Joe Mullery (59A), Rep. Barb Yarusso (42A)
- 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Rep. Cindy Pugh (33B)
Monday, Aug. 26
- 10 a.m. to noon: Rep. Jim Abeler (35A), House Speaker Paul Thissen (61B)
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Rep. Shannon Savick (27A)
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Rep. Tom Hackbarth (31B)
Tuesday, Aug. 27
- 10 a.m. to noon: Rep. Phyllis Kahn (60B)
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Rep. Dan Schoen (54A)
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Rep. Andrea Kieffer (53B)
- 10 a.m. to noon: Rep. Roger Erickson (2A)
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Rep. Sondra Erickson (15A)
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Rep. Bob Gunther (23A), Rep. JoAnn Ward (53A)
- 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.: Rep. JoAnn Ward (53A), Rep. Barb Yarusso (42A)
Thursday, Aug. 29
Friday, Aug. 30
- 10 a.m. to noon: Rep. Mike Frieberg (45B)
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Rep. Kathy Brynaert (19B), Rep. Dan Schoen (54A)
Saturday, Aug. 31
- 10 a.m. to noon: Rep. Melissa Hortman (36B), Rep. John Persell (5A)
- Noon to 2 p.m.: Rep. Phyllis Kahn (60B)
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Rep. Jerry Newton (37A)
Sunday, Sept. 1