Local caped crusader of fund-raising and owner of Top Shelf Clothiers and Consultants, John Meegan, wants to “come up for air.” He’s got only four weeks left to resurrect the Lyn-Lake Street Fest from a nine year hiatus. But that’s just his “inner scuba diver talking”–he’s fine. Meegan, Event Chair in charge of booking, has already booked Middle Spunk Creek Boys, The TC Jammers and headliners, local music darling Solid Gold, for the Big Stage.
And if you’re not the type to get all worked up and frothy when someone says “party!” the organizers are giving you a choice of three different reasons to celebrate. You can honor the completion of the Blaisdell YMCA, recognize Syttende Mai (Norwegian Independence Day) or bow to the completion of construction of Lake Street from the Mississippi River to Dupont Avenue. Kickoff is at 12 noon after the Bike Rally and it runs until 6 p.m.
The Bike Rally is from 9 a.m. to 12 noon. You can register online or in person at the Blaisdell Y. Your $45 registration includes:
• “RITES OF SPRING” rally T-shirt
• Very special pricing on bike tune up at The Alt 24 hour tune up, reduced from $59.95 to $39.95. A $20 Value! Go to the ALT’s website for tune-up details.
• A Lyn Lake reusable drawstring backpack, with special swag from Lyn-Lake businesses
• Peace Coffee provided at start of race.
• Caffrey’s subs and other food and beverages provided at the Bike Corral finish for lunch.
• Race finish is at the start of the Rites of Spring, Lyn-Lake Street Festival.
• Door Prizes for best decorated bike, best rider outfit and other random raffle prizes for completing the course and finding all special event “stations.”
• Big Stage Live Music
• Strider sport bike competition: Next door to the ALT Bike Shop, a race course will be set up on special Strider bikes. Parents can challenge their children to a race where the bikes will be a great equalizer.
(Proceeds benefit YMCA programs for youth and families.)
And while you’re there look for festival food specials that will be prepared for easy take out at some of these participating locations: Galactic Pizza, Dulono’s, Uptown Pizza, Toppers, Pizza Luce, Caffrey’s, Milios, Falafel King, It’s Greek to Me, Herkimer, Moto-i, Fuji-Ya, Tiger Sushi, Saigon Restaurant, Zen Café, Wendy’s, Popeyes, Bryant Lake Bowl, The Country Bar, Dunn Bros., Sonny’s Ice Cream and El Meson.
For the latest news on the event see www.lynlakestreetfestival.com.
|Support people-powered non-profit journalism! Volunteer, contribute news, or become a member to keep the Daily Planet in orbit.|