Please join the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) for "The Illusion of Choice: Evictions and Profit in North Minneapolis" CURA Evictions Project Report Release Event
“The Illusion of Choice: Evictions and Profit in North Minneapolis”
CURA Evictions Project Report Release Event and The Moving Walls of Minneapolis Art Exhibit Opening
Date: Thursday, May 30, 2019 – 3:30pm – 6:30pm
Location: University of Minnesota Urban Research and Outreach-
Engagement Center (UROC)
2001 Plymouth Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55411
* Our events are first come, first seated. The ticket is to gauge interest in the event. Please arrive early to ensure a spot.
Single Black mothers face the highest risk of evictions in the United States. In Hennepin County, close to 50% of all eviction filings take place in two zip codes in North Minneapolis, despite the fact that they contain just 8% of all rental units in the city. Driven by community feedback, The Illusion of Choice: Evictions & Profit in North Minneapolis project aims to answer the question of why and how evictions are taking place from the perspectives of tenants and landlords themselves. CURA believes this is central to the successful development of public policy solutions and new programmatic interventions for those tenants negatively affected by evictions, as well as landlords who value sustaining positive relationships with the communities in which they are investors.
On May 30, 2019, CURA will present a multimedia release of its North Minneapolis evictions research project. Event details include:
- 3:30-5:00 pm: Dr. Lewis and her team’s research presentation with a short video presenting the stories of landlords and renters, followed by a Q & A session
- 5:00-5:20 pm: Presentation on the creation of the Social Service Run Around Simulation, by the Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR) team at Juxtaposition Arts
- 5:20-5:30 pm: Introduction and brief remarks on the art installation by artist-in-residence Nikki McComb
- 5:30-6:30 pm: Reception. Refreshments will be provided.
(Thursday) 3:30 pm - 6:30 pm CST
UROC University of Minnesota Urban Research and Outreach-Engagement Center
2001 Plymouth Ave N, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55411