- Starting this fall, yellow bus service will no longer bring students to South High School. Students either walk, bike or take public bus/light rail, OR there will be an increase in car traffic to school.
- 21st Ave S is the only neighborhood street to access to the Midtown Greenway, a major bicycle route, but 21st Ave S does not accommodate cyclist safety.
- Additionally, the crossing of 32nd Street and Hiawatha highway 55 is dangerous and intimidating for to both residents and commuting students.
- Could these streets become better pedestrian and cyclist corridors? What improvement options does our community want?
EVENT: On the evening of October 11, 2013, South High’s athletic field on 21st Ave South will be transformed into an arts space. Using giant projections and audio, 500+ attendees, including high school students, will experience the yard lines of the athletic field as a timeline and a ruler. Participants will use accessible, directed movements to create a group visualization of exceptionally large expanses of time and space. Audience members will be on the field immersed in the visualization. They also have the option to sit in the bleachers and watch the field transform. “Take the Field” will use the vastness of the playing field as a tool to grasp our particular place in the cosmos.
The sequence of activities on the night of “Take the Field” will consist of a block party along the east edge of the field, “Take the Field” interactive projection event, then a picnic and movie screening on the field. Visit letstakethefield.com for more details.
BRAINSTORM: How can this art event engage the community in bike and walking alternatives for 21st Ave S and 32nd Street?
- Is bike and pedestrian safety important issues for Corcoran?
- What transit alternatives would you like to see for 21st Ave S and 32nd Street?
- What engaging activities can we plan for the community to envision and discuss these alternatives?
- What else should occur to make this event fun for all community members (ex. food trucks, music, bike parade, information tables)
All residents and interested people are invited to attend this informal meeting. If you cannot attend, please share your ideas on the E-Democracy forum.
DATE: Wednesday August 14, 2013
TIME: 5:30 – 7:00 pm
LOCATION: intersection of 21st Ave S and 31st Street