Dive teams recovered another body from the bridge collapse site today, bringing the death toll to nine people.
Human remains were recovered by authorities at 12:05 p.m., according to the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office. The identity of the victim has not been released.
While they have not been officially identified by the medical examiner, family members are quoted by WCCO-TV as saying they know that two of the bodies recovered are those of Sadiya Sahal and Hana Mohamed.
Three bodies were recovered from the I-35W bridge collapse site Thursday. The first body was recovered at about 12:10 p.m., and then at 2 p.m. authorities found additional human remains.
Peter Hausmann, 47, of Rosemount has been identified as one of the victims by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner. He died of drowning, according to the Medical Examiner.
The other victims have not be identified.
A U.S. Navy dive team and a FBI Underwater Search and Evidence Recovery Team are assisting the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office in the recovery effort.
In addition to the bodies found today and Thursday, five other people are confirmed dead. They include Julia Blackhawk, 32, of Savage; Patrick Holmes, 36, of Moundsview; Artemio Trinidad-Mena, 29, of Minneapolis; Sherry Lou Engebretsen, 60, of Shoreview; and Paul Eickstadt, 51, of Moundsview.
Capt. Mike Martin of the Minneapolis Police Department said during a press conference Thursday morning that it was possible not all the missing victims would be found.
Because of the crushing force of the bridge collapse, crews were not expecting to find intact vehicles from which bodies could be easily extracted, he said. But recovery teams were working hard to reunite the missing with loved ones, he said.
He said five cars were pulled from the river in recent days to aid divers.
To learn more about how and why the bridge collapsed, law enforcement officials have interviewed between 200 and 300 people who experienced or witnessed the collapse, Martin said. They include drivers, passengers, construction workers and others.
One of them was a homeless man who had been camping under the bridge and tried to get into the perimeter Aug. 8 to retrieve his belongings. Police took him to the command post and asked him about other individuals who might have been living under the bridge. From the interview, police believe no homeless individuals were killed during the collapse, Martin said.
Recovery teams have also retrieved some belongings from vehicles still sitting on the collapse site. They aren’t making a point of searching for belongings, Martin said, but some items that are important to survivors, such as medical information, have been recovered.
On Aug. 8, the Minneapolis Police Department’s SWAT team pulled a racing wheelchair and backpack from a van that narrowly missed plunging into the river on the north side of the bridge, Martin said.
The specially designed chair belonged to Marcello Cruz of Crystal, Minn., who was on his way to a wheelchair-marathon training session when the bridge collapsed. Civilians helped Cruz, who is paralyzed from the waist down, from his van that evening.