MN VIDEOS | New Wilderness Project youth leadership - social dominance to social justice

Organizational and structural racism, white privilege, stereotype, ethnicity and cultural differences are issues faced in every school district, community and state across the country. My goal is to address these issues at the local level.

Read media partner Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder's story about this documentary series, In "Student Voices – The New Wilderness," 100 diverse local youth discuss racism, bullying, their educational experiences.

Young people are often the missing voice in systemic change efforts in public schools. If closing the achievement gap is about serving young people better, I believe hearing from them is integral to the process.

I saw a need for change in Anoka-Hennepin, a community struggling with political polarization regarding race and sexual orientation, across a socio-economic spectrum. We needed to grow student leaders who would be change agents and help create safe and respectful learning environments.

I produced a five-part documentary series, “Student Voices - The New Wilderness”. These films are a reflection of the courageous, deeply moving and soul shifting journey students went on for equity and social justice. Youth share a vulnerable willingness to speak their truth to adults and challenge assumptions about themselves, others and their ways of thinking.

In the video above, we talk about white privilege and how students experience oppression regarding class and sexual orientation as well as race. View more here: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb-9VV3lr0ek2x2L9srYjAw.