- Arts & Lifestyle
- Special Sections
- Community Directory
- Ticket Offers
TC Weekend | Open Streets, Selby Jazz Fest, Autumn Daze, Mississippi Riverfest & Heritage Day and much more!
This weekend is jam-packed with events to help you get a jump on the fall season--from harvest fests to cheese fests, there's a lot on tap! Get the details below:
- The Nativity County Fair takes place from Friday, September 13, to Sunday, September 15, in St. Paul. A bit more info about the fest as advertised on the Nativity County Fair website:
"The Nativity County Fair began in 1975. The Nativity community pulled together in order to facilitate a fun way of giving to the school that has given so much to their children and their community...The Nativity County Fair is entering its 38th year of bringing joy to the Nativity community and beyond. The three day event takes place mid September on our school grounds and has become a favorite tradition in the parish and the Macalester Groveland neighborhood."
- The 30th annual Autumn Daze Festival will take place from Friday, September 13, to Sunday, September 15, in Minneapolis. Everyone in the neighborhood is invited to come and enjoy the festivities, which include a quilt bingo and live and silent auctions. Go here for more details.
- The 11th Annual Selby Avenue Jazz Festival will get things swinging, Saturday, September 14, in St Paul. Advertised as an opportunity to celebrate neighborhood development, this lively festival connects and engages people through music, food, art, and a family fun zone with kids’ activities. Performers are local, regional and national, with keyboard/pianist, Marcus Johnson serving as headliner. Find out more information at the Selby Avenue Jazz website.
- Payne Arcade Harvest Festival, Saturday, September 14, in East St Paul. This community festival celebrates the harvest with a pedestrian parade, live music, a pork roast and carnival games for kids. Visit the Payne Arcade Harvest Festival Facebook page for more details.
- Minnesota Cheese Festival Saturday, September 14, and Sunday, September 15. If you love cheese, this event is for you! Join other cheese lovers at the State Fair grounds for one of the nation’s largest celebrations of cheese and related products from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. Visit the MN Cheese Fest website for more details.
- The 9th Annual Mississippi Riverfest and Heritage Day on Saturday, September 14, in Minneapolis. Held at Mississippi Regional Park, this festival includes minnow races, horse-drawn wagon rides, fish T-shirt printing, live music, and plenty of outdoor adventures. Go here and here for more details and background information about the event.
- The Mid-Autumn Moon Festival kicks off Sunday, September 15, in St. Paul. The festival, a celebration of Vietnamese and Chinese cultures, and sponsored by the Vietnamese Community of Minnesota and other organizations, is free and features a variety of engaging activities, including lantern dances, cultural harvesting, story-telling, a community resource fair, and a parade around Rice Park. Visit www.landmarkcenter.org for more information or call 651.292.3063.
- Open Streets, Sunday, September 15, in St. Paul. Located on University Avenue between Hamline Avenue – Marion Street, this event aims to bring people together to enjoy the neighborhood in a car-free environment. More information from StPaulOpenStreets.org:
"Open Streets events bring together families, neighbors and friends to mingle, recreate, dine, play and shop in their community in a safe, car-free environment. This is not a race. Participants can explore the street that is open only to foot, bicycle and skate traffic. In addition to bicycling, walking and skating, there are programmed recreational activities for all ages along the street. Some of these activities might include yoga, zumba, games and dance lessons. There will also be musical performances and classes on bike safety and repair.”
How will you spend the weekend? Let us know by sending your photos, tweets, comments to editor [at] tcdailyplanet [dot] net or tag them with #tcdpic and we'll add them to the Storify below. [If you don't see the Storify photos and comments below, please refresh your browser window.]
Coverage of issues and events that affect Central Corridor neighborhoods and communities is funded in part by a grant from Central Corridor Funders Collaborative.
© 2013 Paige Elliott