- Arts & Lifestyle
- Special Sections
- Community Assets Directory
- Ticket Offers
Want to get some of the politics out of your theater...?
Theater isn't all about politics and gay people this month. I know, shocking, but true. While I've been tied up in theater over on that end of the spectrum, there's tons of stuff going on in the coming weeks for folks who want their entertainment to have nothing to do with the election, the marriage amendment or the voter ID issue. For example…
(This list is by no means exhaustive. If you have shout-outs for things I missed, tack them on in the comments section below the article. And I'll be updating as I learn new stuff.)
- Blacula: Young, Black and Undead at the Bryant Lake Bowl - October 31st, 2012
- HUGE Theater's Halloween Double Feature - October 31st, 2012
Special event for the first weekend of November…
- Public readings and feedback sessions for Savage Umbrella's new work in development, Rapture at Interact Center for Visual and Performing Arts on November 2 and 3, 2012 only
Closing up shop this first weekend of November...
Continuing this week(end)...
And a special shout-out to the one production other than my own play which I've actually managed to see...
Next To Normal, running over at Mixed Blood now through November 11, 2012 - a tricky production of a fantastic Tony and Pulitzer Prize-winning musical that's very much worth your time - and it's free - my review can be found here.
- HUGE Theater has the improv comedy acts Theater of Public Policy, Space Jam, Free Association, The Bearded Men, Splendid Things, and the regular HUGE Wednesdays, Submarine Adventure Show, Saturday Late Night Mix, Improv-A-Go-Go, and Show X
And one more Fringe favorite currently enjoying a popular revival in the heart of the downtown Minneapolis theater district…
2 Sugars Room For Cream at the New Century Theater now through November 11th, 2012
- The Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize-winning musical Sunday in the Park With George out at Bloomington Civic Theater - October 19th to November 17th, 2012
- The Stephen Sondheim 70s classic Company gets a Theatre Latte Da makeover - October 25th to November 18th, 2012
******* Please remember to VOTE on Tuesday, November 6, 2012 *********
Things I've already missed during this election season…
Lovers and Executioners - Theatre Pro Rata
Mean - Youth Performance Company
Also closed now...
- Off Leash Area is finishing up their annual garage tour now October 20, 2012
- Skewed Visions has the latest in their ongoing series of Three Principles workshops for those interested in developing the skills they use in their own site-specific works of theater - Saturday October 20th, 10am to noon
- Monday and Tuesday October 22 and 23 at 7pm is Pillsbury House Theater's award-winning Chicago Avenue Project - this time around with the young theater artists writing the scripts to be directed and performed by a who's who of local theater professionals. Always a great time.
- We Are Theatre (and So Can You) - a 24-hour letter reading extravaganza from the minds of George McConnell and Samantha Johns, the folks who brought us Snowf*ck - in the garage at 2209 East 33rd Street. Minneapolis MN - from 11pm on October 26th all the way to 11pm on October 27th, 2012 (stop by for a little or a lot)